Karen C. Carrera
A bilingual attorney, investigator, trainer, and DEI consultant, Karen conducts workplace investigations for both public and private employers in response to employee complaints of harassment, discrimination, retaliation, bullying, and other alleged misconduct. Her practice emphasizes conducting neutral workplace investigations with Spanish-speaking employees and witnesses. She also conducts sexual harassment prevention, diversity and inclusion training, and consultations for corporations, government agencies, and individuals in both English and Spanish. She holds a certificate from the Association of Workplace Investigators (AWI) and is an active member.
Prior to becoming an investigator and trainer, Karen was a Plaintiffs’ side employment law litigator at Villegas Carrera, Inc. This perspective gives her additional insight into potential risks employers face from employee claims and lawsuits. Her prior litigation experience also includes serving as Deputy City Attorney with the San Francisco City Attorney’s Office and as a supervising attorney at Legal Aid of Marin and La Raza Centro Legal, where she litigated employment and housing cases and managed a diverse staff, including volunteers.
Throughout her career, Karen has facilitated community outreach meetings with the Latino community and various services agencies, conducted bilingual training, and drafted self-help manuals in Spanish and English.
When not working, Karen enjoys hiking the hills of Marin County with her husband and Maltipoo, Lilly.
- Spirit of Marin Award – Business Professional of the Year, presented by Bank of Marin, 2021.
- Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition to Karen C. Carrera, The Hon. Jared Huffman, for entrepreneurial accomplishments and civic involvement, 2015 and 2021.
- Certificate of Recognition, California State Legislature, Business Citizen of the Year, The Hon. Assemblyman Marc Levine, 2021.
- Certificate of Appreciation, Marin County Board of Supervisors, Business Citizen of the Year, 2021.
- Association of Workplace Investigators Certificate Holder (AWI-CH), February 2020 to the present.
- Hero Award, AIDS Legal Referral Panel, for 15 years of service, 2019.
- Profile of Karen Carrera, Plaintiff Magazine, November 2017
- Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition to Karen C. Carrera, The Hon. Jared Huffman, in honor of ongoing commitment to the Latino population in Marin County, 2015.
- State of California Senate, Certificate of Recognition to Karen C. Carrera, The Hon. Mike McGuire, State Senator, for outstanding leadership and professional skills, 2015.
- Hispanic Business Professional of the Year, Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, for outstanding leadership, commitment, and professional skills in representing Latino immigrants, 2015.
- Legal Services Corporation, Certificate of Appreciation, for extraordinary commitment to providing equal access to justice through pro bono work with California Rural Legal Assistance, 2015.
- Community Service Award Recipient and 2013 Graduation Keynote Speaker – Hastings College of the Law, La Raza Law Student’s Assoc. May 2013.
- Outstanding Benefactor Award, California Rural Legal Assistance Foundation, Sacramento, California, “for providing access to justice to low income workers in California”. September 2008.
- California Assembly, Certificate of Recognition for providing volunteer legal services to low-income people in Marin, May 2006.
- Wiley E. Manual Award from the State Bar of California in recognition of pro bono work. 2004.
- San Francisco Minority Bar Coalition, recipient of the Unity Award, for “Outstanding Service to the Legal Community”. May 2004.
- Certificate of Appreciation, City of San Francisco, Hon. Willie Brown, for prosecuting slumlords on behalf of the City. May 2002.
- California Women Lawyers – Board Member, Board of Directors, January 1, 2020 to present.
- Marin County Women Lawyer’s Association – Board Member, Board of Directors, April 10, 2019 to present.
- Association of Workplace Investigators – Member, June 2019 – present.
- Marin Trial Lawyers Association – Board of Directors, June 2018– present.
- Canal Alliance (non-profit organization assisting immigrant communities in Marin County by providing access to education, youth programs, family counseling and immigration services)
- General Counsel – March 2020 to present; (providing advice and counsel)
- Former Board Member, Board of Directors, Jan. 2014-February 2019.
- Association of Latino Marin Attorneys (ALMA) – Member, 2016-present
- Equal Rights Advocates (ERA) – Former Member, Board of Directors (2008-2014) ERA represents women and girls in high impact civil rights litigation nationwide.
- Aids Legal Referral Panel (ALRP) – Volunteer Attorney, 2005-present.
- ACLU of Northern California, Board of Directors (2006-2008)
- La Raza Centro Legal, Board of Directors, (2000-2003)
- Bay Area Legal Aid, Board of Directors (1999-2000)
- General Counsel – Reed Schools Foundation, Tiburon, CA, June 2004-June 2006.
- Hastings College of the Law, University of California, September 2009-2019.
- Adjunct Professor. Classes taught: Representing Spanish Speaking Clients in Employment Law; Interviewing and Counseling Clients; Negotiation and Mediation Strategies, Legal Writing and Research.
- Berkeley School of Law, University of California, August – November 2018
- Lecturer in Law. Legal Research & Writing, L.L.M. Legal Research and Writing Department.
- Wage & Hour Law and the Immigrant Low Wage Worker, Marin Trial Lawyers Association, 2015
- Work Life Law for Women in Tech, Google, 2015
- Representing Immigrant Clients in Class Actions, S.F. Trial Lawyers Association, 2014
- U-Visas and Immigrant Clients in Employment Law, Marin Trial Lawyers Association, 2013
- Employment Law Overview, Legal Aid of Marin, 2010
- Wage & Hour Law and the Immigrant Low Wage Worker, PLUS Conference, 2009
- State Bar of California
- D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law
- B., International Relations, Stanford University
- AWI-CH (Association of Workplace Investigators Certificate Holder. The AWI Training Institute and certificate program is ANSI accredited.)
- Employment Law
- Employment Dispute & Litigation